Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fit2cook4Kids: Campers share their experiences with Diabetes

I am so impressed by the courage and maturity these campers possess. As part of their social skills training, they presented many topics throughout the week to their peers ranging from health-related topics, cooking experiences, nutritional information to personal stories. They presented with ease, enthusiasm and understanding of the material being presented, leaving me to believe that they will ace their first job and college interviews! 

Kelby and Logan were two campers who really captured my attention. Both openly presented on their personal experience of living with type 1 diabetes. Their courage is inspiring! They were able to explain diabetes in a way that any age group could understand by comparing the role of insulin to a locked door and key.  They shared how they found out they had diabetes and the thoughts that went through their minds when they were diagnosed. They explained their daily difficulties and the maintenance needed for, as one camper put, "to stay alive". They showed the class the tools they used to inject insulin and how they check their blood sugar. 

As a health educator, I thought I knew a great deal of information about diabetes but I learned even more from listening to them share their personal experiences.  Kelby and Logan have taught me something new and I know others could learn a great deal by listening to those who live with diabetes.



No comments:

Post a Comment